FROM DR. ROBERTS
Welcome to term four, one of the best terms of the year, with the warmer weather, summer and Christmas. Of course, we have another busy term with loads of activities for the students including swimming and the year 6 camp.
Our welcome playgroup for 2022 enrolled Kindergarten students, starts on Tuesday 26 October at 8:45 – 10:15. The programme is for six weeks and helps the transition from home to school for our beautiful new students and their families.
Today, we will be sending home, one for each family, our new Business Plan 2021 – 2025 that includes our vision, beliefs, context, what sets us apart from other schools and our 6 targets based on the Department of Education’s Standard. The Business Plan was developed over the last eighteen months with input from the School Board. Please take the time to read the Plan and appreciate the beautiful photos.
Like other schools, across all year levels at Hawker Park, teachers instruct students about protective behaviours. The below link provides an excellent resource for parents especially when talking to their children. It is an Education Department resource that we share with you. You will find this resource on our school website https://hawkerparkps.wa.edu.au/programs/
WHATS ON AT HAWKER PARK
• 21 Oct – School Photo Day (EC1 K2 – Year 6)
• 26 Oct – Welcome Playgroup begins for our Kindy 2022 enrolments (every Tuesday for six weeks)
• 28 Oct – Assembly (TA2)
• 3 Nov – Open Board Meeting (7pm)
• 4 Nov – Supporting Family Conversations Parent Information Session, 5pm – 6pm (Year 6 Parents)
• 5 Nov – P&C Lapathon
• 8 – 12 Nov – Interm Swimming (PP – Year 6)
• 10 Nov – Kindy 2022 Orientation Meeting
School Calendar 2021 (please scroll down as it is near the bottom of the page)
DID YOU KNOW THAT …………….
- at our October 28 Assembly years 3 & 4 will be singing our community song
- August to November is nesting season for magpies. If you are swooped by a magpie, stay calm, do not run and avoid looking towards swooping birds
- Crows love to steal the children’s lunches. Please remind your child to always close their lunch box and keep it inside their zipped schoolbag
- Mrs Stangoni is doing Sewing Club again this term and is always looking for sewing donations
- it’s really important to ensure your child’s medication is always within date. Admin will notify you of the expiry date and we ask parents are prompt in replacing expired medication
- Action Plans for Asthma and Anaphylaxis are required to be updated by your child’s Dr. yearly and a copy provided to the school
SCHOOL PHOTOS – ORDERING ONLINE SYSTEM
Don’t forget tomorrow is School Photo Day (Kindy 2 – Year 6).
- Sibling Photo Forms are available from the front office.
- The expiry date for online ordering is 27 October. Any orders received after this date will incur a $30.00 archive fee.
Please Note: Individual and Family Photos are not available to view online for Students security
SMARTS – COIN DESIGN
Last week the students who participated in the Coin Design SMARTS Activity back in Term 3 received their very own design engraved on a Perth Mint coin. Their designs were spectacular and the excitement on the children’s faces was priceless. A massive thank you to Aleysha for this extra special SMARTS Day Surprise.
“SUPPORTING FAMILY CONVERSATIONS”
YEAR 6 PARENT INFORMATION EVENING – THURSDAY 4 NOV
Hawker Park PS in conjunction with the Departments Road Safety and Drug Education Branch will be hosting a “Supporting Family Conversations” parent information workshop is on Thursday 4 November 2021, 5pm – 6pm, for our year 6 parents. Please register your attendance with admin on 9422 2000 or firstname.lastname@example.org by Thursday 28 October.
It’s never too late to start talking with your child about staying safer around alcohol or the online environment.
Your child’s attitudes and behaviours are influenced by many things – friends, social media, advertising and cultural expectations around alcohol use. Fortunately, despite these influences, parents remain the single strongest influence on their child’s choices. As a parent you can act now to guide your child’s behaviour and help keep them safe. You can and do make a difference.
“Supporting Family Conversations” is a program and online resource that provides parents with advice and practical tools to assist with commencing and maintaining positive communication with your child around these (and other) difficult topics.
LEARNING ADVENTURES – KINDY
The spring weather has gifted Hawker Park with a mulberry tree full of fruit and some very hungry silkworms in the Kindy classroom. The children have made the most of the mulberry fruit and silkworms loved the mulberry leaves. This has led to many interesting questions and wonderings from the Kindy’s.
Over the coming weeks, we will get to witness the full life cycle of these interesting creatures; from silkworm, to cocoon and then to moth, who in turn lay eggs to keep the cycle continuing.
So far, we have discovered that Chinese legend states silk was discovered accidently by a Chinese Empress when a cocoon fell into her cup and began to unravel when she was sipping tea under a mulberry tree; that silkworms eat a lot of leaves as they fatten up and that they poo a lot!
Many children have likened the eating and pooing of the silkworms to their baby siblings so fabulous discussions have been ignited about growth and change.
The Kindy’s are showing great care and respect as they clean, feed and care for the worms. A big thank you to Piper’s family for sharing another generation of silkworms with us.
LEARNING ADVENTURE – PHYSICAL EDUCATION
Last Tuesday we were lucky enough to have numerous students from SEDA coach our students in a Soccer Clinic during our Phys Ed sessions with Mrs Barrett.
P&C – COMMUNICATION
A huge thanks to everyone who supported our recent parents Casino night! It was so much fun…We are still tallying up what we raised so watch this space!
Not only did the P&C do lots of work to make it happen with a good few months of planning, preparation, shopping, crafting, hunting and cooking by the event committee (with help from lots of others) there were also a number of school families who helped out with donations and sponsorship!
Big claps to:
• Sam and Bec from Ranui Roofing (float voucher, hamper gifts, food and grazing boards + hours!)
• Brad and Cassie from Brad O’Sullivan Tiling (grand cinema vouchers, gifts for hampers and Beacon workplace donation of a lamp for silent auction + hours!)
• Gareth and Emma from Egmont Electrical ($ Visa card, drinks + hours!)
• Nick and Jacquie from Nick Thake Photography (photo canvas for silent auction and strawberries)
• Garth and Jo Pausin from Jim’s Mowing (voucher)
• Melissa Watson (Thermomix warming plate and alcohol for the coin toss)
• Craig and Megan George (a box of fresh produce)
• David and Emily Peacock (champagne bottles plus use of trailer and manpower to transport items)
• Gemma Taavale and Emma Reed for getting their Bar manager/RSA to run the bar
• Lynlea Denniston, Alana Butcher, Toni Payne, Jody Hutchinson, and Bec Valenti (for canapés, gifts and photo props)
Also a big shout out for the continued support from Jessica Stojkovski (Conti Voucher) and Caroline Turner (Crown Voucher) The lucky winners should enjoy those!!
COLOUR EXPLOSION FUN RUN
Next up is the new version of the Lapathon… our first ever Colour Run!! The kids are going to LOVE IT! You’ll have received the online fundraising info but what we’d like to emphasise more, is having lots of parents down at the oval on the day to help out with spreading the coloured powder love! It’s a great afternoon so don a white shirt and join in the fun on Friday 5 November from 1:30pm to 2:30pm.
With all this fun happening the fundraising is building up in the bank account and we are about to vote on spending some big dollars! The P&C will meet to do this on Tuesday October 26, 7pm in the library. Please come along if you’d like to hear what’s going on.
CONTAINERS FOR CHANGE
Containers for change next drop off day is Tuesday 30 November 2021 in the Car Park at Hawker Park while running club is underway. You don’t even need to get out of your car to drop your eligible containers off, just pop into a parking bay & well come to you! All proceeds go towards supporting our kids at school and the containers will be recycled into useful things rather than becoming landfill.
However, you can drop these off any day at any depot, bag drop, reverse vending machine or pop-up refund point. Click Where to return | Containers for Change to find your nearest point just don’t forget to use the P&C Scheme ID: C10359403.
VAC SWIM SWIMMING LESSONS
Enrolments are now open for VacSwim swimming lessons during the October and summer school holidays.
VacSwim offers fun lessons at beach or pool locations across WA. Not only is VacSwim a great school holiday activity, it also teaches valuable safety skills to help keep your child safe in the water.
Your children can start as young as five years old.
Don’t wait! Enrol your children in VacSwim now at education.wa.edu.au/vacswim
GIFTED AND TALENTED
These exceptional academic, arts and languages programs are available at select public secondary schools. Options include:
- a fully selective academic school, Perth Modern School, and an arts college, John Curtin College of the Arts
- two regional schools, Albany Senior High School and Bunbury Senior High School
- boarding at City Beach Residential College while studying in Perth
- boarding at Albany Residential College while studying at Albany Senior High School
- The online program for regional WA students living outside of Albany or Bunbury, where students continue to study at their local regional public school.
Applications are open to students in Year 5 in 2021, entering Year 7 in 2023.
Limited places may also be available for students entering Years 9, 10 and 11 in 2023.
Applications close at 11:59 pm Sunday 13 February 2022. Late applications are not accepted.
Families need to apply on our website https://www.education.wa.edu.au/gifted-and-talented
Please see our noticeboard outside administration for further details on the following community events:
- 50 years Hamersley Scouts Invitation
- Mercedes College Enrolment
- Little Feet Festival Joondalup: https://www.joondalup.wa.gov.au/little-feet-festival-7
- Triple P Program
- Specialist Netball Program WSHS
- Better Health Program