FROM DR ROBERTS
Welcome to Term 4, our traditionally warm and very happy term leading into Christmas! We particularly welcome back Mr Etheridge and thank both Mrs Everall and Ms Randell who took Mr Etheridge’s place as Associate Principal during his absence.
Interschool athletics Carnival is on Friday and we wish our competitors well.
I acknowledge this year, Term 4 is a time when parents are being asked to pay for interm-swimming, Make-a-Move (Dance), School Photos in addition to any classroom excursions. The School and School Board try to alert parents of upcoming costs through the annual School Voluntary Contributions & Charges 2023 (Kindergarten to Year 6) letter that goes home in November of the previous year. The letter includes a Charges Schedule for the following year. The Department of Education mandates schools send out this letter at least two months before the new school year starts.
Unfortunately, although we request various times for interm-swimming, we are told dates and this year it is term 4. As our Make-a-Move/Dance routines will be used for our end of year Christmas concert, we organised sessions for term four. School Photos vary so for next year, we will endeavour to organise these to be taken during another term rather than term 4 and hope this will ease the financial pressure a little in term 4. Next year, interm-swimming will be in term 2 which will also ease the financial pressure in term 4. I understand how taxing requests for money are when they all come in one term and apologise for the stress this must be causing in some families. We hope this will not happen next year.
The School Voluntary Contributions & Charges 2024 (Kindergarten to Year 6) letter, endorsed by the School Board recently, will be sent home next month, in November.
Friday 13 was the last day for nominations for our School Board. Two parents were nominated. Fortunately for our school we have Vincent Bernard who accepted the nomination. We are delighted to welcome Mr Bernard with his expertise and talent. Mr Bernard was one of our leaders on SMARTS Day earlier this year. Congratulations Mr Bernard and thank you.
DID YOU KNOW?
- Students are to walk bicycles on and off the school grounds
- Lunch/food is not to be shared
- Toys and equipment are to be left at home
- Only watches and stud/small earrings are permitted jewellery at school
- Mobiles are left at the front office and collected after school
- Long hair must be put up and out of eyes
- Unless under direct supervision of an adult, SCOOTERS are not to be ridden to school
SCHOOL BANK ACCOUNT DETAILS CHANGING
Please note the School bank account details are changing.
Account Name: Hawker Park Primary School
BSB: 066 192
ACC: 1066 6977
Please make sure you check the details if you are transferring any money for upcoming incursions/excursions.
SCHOOL PROFESSIONAL LEARNING DAYS FOR 2024
School Professional Learning Days 2024:
- 29 January 2024
- 30 January 2024
- 15 April 2024
- 15 July 2024
- 7 October 2024
- 13 December 2024
STUDENTS NOT RETURNING TO HPPS IN 2024
To assist with our School and class planning for 2024, please inform Admin ASAP if you know that your child/ren will not be returning to Hawker Park Primary School in the coming year. This does not apply to our current Year 6 students.
SCHOOL BOARD – Profiles
Name: Salvatore Siciliano
- Married to Naomi and we have two sons Levi (Yr 6) and Ezra (Yr 5) who have been attending Hawker Park Primary School since pre-primary.
- Currently employed as the Manager Community Development at the Town of Bassendean with a background working in sport and recreation, regional development and State Government.
- Overall, I love spending time with my family and extended family, and with my wife raising our two boys.
- In my spare time, I have thoroughly enjoyed assisting in coaching our son’s junior football and basketball teams and taking the boys and their friends fishing and camping.
- I currently sit on our local church board and have been a parent representative on the Hawker Park School Board since 2022, which has been a rewarding experience due to the strong commitment and professionalism displayed by staff and other parent representatives
HPPS MOVING TO CONNECT
Connect is to be implemented in our school as a whole school communication tool with all parents.
In the next few weeks, we will be moving away from the SkoolBag App and use Connect. Connect is a secure learning support and communication platform developed and owned by the Department of Education WA. It is designed to be used by staff, students and parents/carers in public schools.
Each parent/carer will be given their own secure login to Connect.
Connect is totally free and, because it is provided by the Department of Education, very safe. It will provide the same functionality as SkoolBag and DOJO, just in a different format. As well as being able to log into Connect on any internet connected device, you may also receive notices from Connect that will be sent to you as either an email or a notification on your phone. A free app called Connect Now can be downloaded from Google Play or the Apple App Store and will let you receive Connect notices as push notifications.
When you log into the Hawker Park Primary School’s Connect you will be able to see:
- Whole school notifications.
- Individual year level notifications.
- Individual class notifications.
- A ‘library’ that will store notifications to refer back to; and,
- You can register student absences with the school.
If you have multiple children, you only need one login – even if your children attend different public schools or are at primary and secondary school. If you already have a login, the program will automatically add your students to that “P” number.
You will be emailed with a unique username known as a P-number and a link to create your own password. Creating your password means you are agreeing to the full usage terms and agreements of Connect.
Remember; in 2024 Class DOJO and Skoolbag will cease and written communication with parents will be through Connect only.
IN TERM SWIMMING 2023 INFORMATION
Today all students received notes regarding swimming lessons.
This year due to instructor shortages, students will only have 5 lessons either in week 7 or 8. Please see the schedule below.
A big thank you also to our wonderful P&C for subsidising the transport for our in-term swimming.
LESSON TIMES as shown below:
WEEK 7: 20 Nov – 24 Nov
Session Groups, Time leave school, Lesson times
Session 1: EC2 (PP) 8:40am 9:20am – 10am
Session 2: TA4 9:25am 10:05am – 10:45am
Session 3: TA1, TA2 10:05am 10:50am – 11:30am
WEEK 8: 27 Nov – 1 Dec
Session Groups, Time leave school, Lesson times
Session 1: TA9 8:40am 9:20am – 10am
Session 2: TA5 9:25am 10:05am – 10:45am
Session 3: TA3, TA7 10:05am 10:50am – 11:30am
Cost Break Down
Seat belted bus transport $0.00/day/child. Paid for by the P&C.
Daily entry Craigie Leisure centre $3.50day/child
Lesson instruction $0.00 day/child
COST: $ 17.50 After P&C subsidy. Please return forms and make payment to the office by Friday 10th November there are difficulties in this area, please contact the school.
23 Oct – Make a Move (Yr1-6)
25 Oct – P&C Meeting
25 Oct – Make a Move (K1/PP)
26 Oct – Assembly – Specialists
26 Oct – Early Learners K2024 (Group 1)
27 Oct – Halloween Disco
27 Oct – Drama Burst (Yr3-6)
30 Oct – Make a Move (Yr1-6)
1 Nov – Board Meeting
1 Nov – Hawker Headlines
1 Nov – Make a Move (K2/PP)
2 Nov – Early Learners K2024 (Group 1)
3 Nov – Colour Rainbow Run
3 Nov – Drama Burst (Yr3-6)
COMMUNITY NOTICE BOARD
Please see our noticeboard outside administration for the following events:
- HPPS Playgroup – Every Monday (during school term) 8.30-10.30am
- Hello High School – Scotch College’s Memorial Hall, Swanbourne – 1 November 2023, 6-7.30pm
- Balcatta SHS – Gifted and talented visual art program for Year 7
- Absolute drama WA – Drama classes in Greenwood – Term 4 enrolments open now!
- Warwick SHS – Dance Fest 2023
- Morley SHS – Aviation and Screen & Media specialist programs
- Gifted and Talented Education information event – 28 November 2023 – 6-7.30pm
- Increased funding for KidSport program
- Magic Coat Foundation
- Edgewater Primary School Anniversary – 40 years of Education